Monday, September 8, 2008

We're Home!!!!

Thanks a bunch Molly! I got it from here.... :-)

Hello all! We are home! Sorry, don't have pictures downloaded yet. We got released around 4:30 p.m. this afternoon. Let me tell you we have had quite the weekend. So, last you heard from me I was dilated and the baby was breech and we were going to do a procedure on Monday. Well, around midnight after I had wrote that blog I felt as though I was a little wet and a little pain in my side. I got up and was pretty positive that my water had broke. Not what I wanted to happen because this meant the version procedure was probably not in the cards. We called into the hospital and they told us to pack our bags. I still had not had a contraction at this time.

As soon as we got in the car the contractions started. They were 4 minutes apart. Very fast for just starting. By the time we arrived at the hospital, a 15 minute drive, they were 2 minutes apart. Once in the hospital they began coming quick and painful. The doctor on call was home and trying to get to the hospital and they wanted to get an ultrasound done before they decided what to do. The nurse thought she felt the head down. The doctor confirmed baby was still breech so they started prepping me for a c-section. The contractions were really coming hard and fast at this point and by the time they wheeled me into the delivery room I was 10 cm dilated and my stomach was contracting on its own. This was not good. The plan had been to give me an epidural and after that Darin would come in with me and they'd delivery the baby. Because I was so advanced and trying to push Darin didn't make it into the delivery room and they had to put me under. So neither of us experienced the birth of our baby girl. 2:44 a.m. Kiley Marie was born. Darin didn't even know they were delivering Kiley until a nurse came out and told him that due to the speed of my progression they had to change plans and they had a new member for him to meet. They didn't tell him or my mom (who followed us to the hospital that morning) if he was meeting his son or daughter. :-) It was quite the whirlwind! Less than 3 hours of labor. Much different from the 10 hours of labor and 40 minutes of pushing with Zack!

Kiley and I are doing just fine. Kiley received a 99 on her apgar. So far Kiley is sleeping a lot. Mostly in 3 hour stints. She's not probably eating as much as she should due to this but she is now at 6 lbs. 6 oz. and that weight loss is expected. She seems so tiny to us compared to our 8lbs. 3 oz. boy!

I'm pretty darn sore from the c-section but keeping up with my pain pills! I'm very grateful that Al and Diane will be staying with us for the next 2 weeks. It should help a lot since I can't drive for 2 weeks or pick up Zack for that amount of time either. The extra help is going to be wonderful.

Darin has been absolutely wonderful. He's been changing most of the diapers since it was kind of difficult to get in and out of bed all of the time. He stayed with me all 3 nights at the hospital which was so helpful. He is a wonderful Dad and I know he is enjoying his father/daughter time and looking forward to all the things a father and daughter can do together.

Zack came up to see his baby sister a couple of times with Grandma Trish and Grandpa Tom. The first day he was more interested in the room I was in than Kiley. The second she was more interesting to him and yesterday when Grandma D, Grandpa Al, Auntie Staci, Uncle Sean, Meghan (The winner of the baby pool!) and Emily came to visit he was more interested in her. He's been very helpful today when we got home too. He even wanted to take her picture right away when we got home. It was very cute.

So now life with 2 children officially begins! Wish us luck! :-)
We will post our pictures soon.

3 comments:

Meg Tredinnick said...

Welcome home:) Glad to have some happy baby news;)

MoSchu said...

Miss that beautiful baby already:)

Grandma Toni said...

Darin, Katie and Zach

Congratulations on your new daughter. She's beautiful! I'm hoping for a quick recovery for you, Katie and then on to the fun of enjoying your kids.